It's nearly spring, but we're covered in snow here in the DMV, which makes it
still timely that we finally release the winter issue of the new SiA
Magazine! Also, we wanted to time the launch of this maiden issue with Women's History Month in honor of all the Sande/Bondo women in Sierra Leone and the Diaspora.
So, what's NEW about SiA Magazine:
1. The Name - SiA and the Shabaka Stone reflects our historical and cultural
focus on the origins of female (and male) circumcision in Africa
2. The Theme - SiA is the first women's magazine to celebrate the beauty of
circumcised women - our bodies, our lives, our choices, our varied cultures &
unique origins in Africa
3. The Mission - To get rid of the stigma Female Genital Mutilation (FGM). SiA
Magazine is the first ever movement of African women to resist this dehumanizing
labeling of African girls and women.
4. Our Hope - The dignity, unity and empowerment of ALL African women and girls
whatever our cultural, religious, genital and other differences!
5. Our Approach - Age of consent: SiA Magazine champions the rights of ALL
African girls and women to choose to continue their cultural traditions or
to opt out of traditions they do not like, including female circumcision.